Thursday, September 16, 2010

RIFF - Craig Walters

I saw the Short Block at 1 on Saturday. Overall I found the films to be quite interesting and they kept my attention most of the time. I missed the first couple minutes of Echoes, but it was easy to pick up the story line. It often pulled at my heart; dementia would be a rough thing to go through and even harder to go through if you were trying to take care of someone with that problem.

She is Beautiful I, honestly, didn’t care for too much. The plot was alright, however the jumping around from language to language while having such a typical plot with outlandish occurrences didn’t pull me into it like I was hoping it too. It was quite predictable and didn’t put a new spin on an old story.

The other three I liked much more. I enjoyed Stones coming from my history background and the ending threw me for a loop, basically ending on one of the two main characters getting shot in the back by two soldiers who had not been involved in the plot up to that point. Svarrtaxi (?) was probably the best done of the films. It had great camera work while having an original plot. As a viewer, it gave the best emotional rollercoaster of these films. You often felt for the cab driver and his unpredictable situations. Lastly, Bonfire was the most intense of the films. It was based around a father who felt as if it profession was swallowing his life as he attempted to make money for his family. However, in the process he became a terrible father and role model and displaced his anger on his children and wife. His anguish led him to cut off the head of his daughter’s pet chicken and eventually end at the climax of him burning all of his children possessions and his journal (which was his emotional outlet).

No comments:

Post a Comment