Wednesday, September 15, 2010

RIFF - Bradley Strickland

I saw the experimental block and the feature length film, Sister’s Keeper.

The experimental block was really interesting, but extremely boring. The best film in this block was definitely “Sunday.” It was the only one that had a noticeable and easy to follow story. In addition, the “claymation” was superb. The white-faced creatures that worked in the man’s body were lovable and had such expressive emotions. The worst was by far the German film, “Staubkaskade.” It was poorly done and way too long. Initially, I tried to appreciate the artistic value of the images; however they were so blurry and appeared so cheaply done that I could not enjoy it. “Through Sames of Am” was very repetitious as well. The noise at the beginning was very annoying and I was so relieved when it went away. The film, “Telefone,” was very well-done and it was extremely artistic. The skipping of frames gave the characters supernatural qualities. I really enjoyed this one, though it was very difficult to follow.

The feature, Sister’s Keeper, was pretty impressive. Though I had very low expectations for a feature, the film was enjoyable. It was a little too long and a bit predictable. I thought the cinematography and set was very realistic from the film lighting to the props. However, I felt that the close up and the extreme close up shot were overused to the point where I was annoyed. I was very impressed with the acting overall, but in some instances I was very disappointed.

I really enjoyed RIFF despite the disappointment of the films of the experimental block. The experience has inspired me to be interested in film festivals. I like seeing films that are not main-stream or popular. There is something about film in general – something about being a privileged onlooker to someone or some event – that is so refreshing to the mind.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting comments, Bradley, particularly regarding your views on film and film festivals. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete