Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Extra Credit - Parker Sealy

I have absolutely no idea how to answer this. The reason for this is because I have no idea. As I am reading these questions about what I like more about film, there is no way for me to answer it on a black and white scale. I think that if you are a true moviegoer then you have to be open minded to all aspects of the cinema. When I go to see a film I have several rules (or something of that nature). One is that I never listen to critics. I respect critics and read their critiques like its my job but it is mostly to hear them out before going to see it regardless of what they said. If they say that it isn’t worth my time and put out good arguments then I will just wait for it to be on DVD so that I don’t have to pay as much. Another is that I won’t not go see a movie if I don’t like the actor. Now that one, of course, is iffy. I will refuse to see a movie if an actor that I don’t like is in it but that’s usually because I don’t particularly enjoy the plot of the films they do. For example, I am not a huge Will Ferrell fan. I loved Anchorman but some of his other films are awful. This makes me hate him and refuse to go see some of his films but if he were to try something new then maybe I would give it a go. Unfortunately he is type casted so I probably will avoid him for right now at least. There are others but they are irrelevant to answer your question. So let me answer some of the questions you asked to further elaborate on why I am having trouble producing a straightforward answer. First, do I like realistic films over those that create a world of make belief? That depends. I like documentaries if done well and are able to hold the audiences attention. I love Morgan Spurlock and really loved Super Size Me and his show, 30 Days. I still love, however, films such as Harry Potter and any movie that clearly is not real because I do love that imaginary life that is other than my own. Do I prefer Hollywood films over Indies? Um no, I like them both. It simply depends on the plot and if I can find the indie and hear about it in the first place. Would I rather be thinking about rich color and elegant compositions of award winning cinematography or the stunning realism of a computer generated landscape when I leave the theater? Well, that depends on what I went to see which wouldn’t be determined by that. I love the intriguing aspects of cinematography but I also love learning about new technology that comes about to perfect the film viewing experience. Would I go see a film for $10 because of its director or actor? Both. I love directors. Some of my favorite directors are Tim Burton, Edgar Wright, and Quentin Terantino. I also love actors and I look at both when choosing a film. I also go see actors for their attractiveness but also because of their personality or because of how good they are and able to take on a role. My favorite actors are Johnny Depp and Joseph Gordon- Levitt because of their versatility in acting but I would definitely go see a film just because Johnny Depp is in it. That is also how I find out about indie films. I IMDB actors and see what they have been in especially if they are know for their versatility. I guess I may have some similarities in all my favorite movies (which are too many to name…) but honestly I love watching every type of movie and consider myself very open minded when I go choose a film. I essentially want to watch every type. I do like to watch actors for their versatility and I do like to watch foreign films and maybe I do avoid political films but I probably watch some as well and like them. In order to decide to go see a movie, I look at actors, directors, and plot then go from there but they range from realism to avant-garde so I am very versatile when it comes to watching films. I hope that kind of sort of answers the question.

1 comment:

  1. Sure does! Very interesting response, Parker. I'll have to get some recommendations from you.

    ReplyDelete