Friday, December 3, 2010

Extra Credit! -Jess S.

For the most part, I think indie films are what I'll generally go for first before a big box office smash. This choice probably depends more on the genre than anything else. Indie films usually feel more raw and personal, and also seem to have a bit more morbidity because of their topic (sometimes), and that’s typically what catches my eye.  Saying that isn't to say that I will completely forgo big Hollywood productions, but it usually depends on what type of movie I find myself getting into before I hand over ten bucks to see it. I also try not to let the critics’ opinions sway me before going to see a film. If I’m interested in the topic of the narrative, I want to check it out for myself before I make any judgments based on what other people say. Generally, though, the more controversial “big” movies I want to see don’t make it to the theaters in this town, so I try and wait patiently for a DVD release.


I think the best films are the ones that latch on to some part of you and don’t let go-the ones that make you think about them obsessively for days until you can shake them off long enough to detach yourself from those thoughts. For me, though, it doesn’t have to be a really shocking indie or even a deep Hollywood production to have this effect. It all depends on the narrative and how it’s presented. Even if there’s no ‘flair’ at all- if it’s not a big budget film- if it’s based around something that intrigues me and it makes an impact, I’m there. I’m kind of torn between both the “life as it is” films and the made-up worlds of some films. The more I think about it, though, I’m more likely to gravitate toward the “life as it is” films. I’m also somewhat torn between the Classical Paradigm and the more mysterious convention, although I guess if I’m going with “life as it is”, I’m most often headed for the Classical Paradigm films. Of course I like the Hollywood Studio era, but more often than not it’s the grit and low-budget productions that grip me the most. Along with that, I typically marvel over the colors and the depth of the “real world” in film more than the computer-generated realism.  


I hate to be so neutral, but in those cases where I like the director AND the star, that will win me over. If it’s one or the other, I’ll most likely go with the star if I don’t know much about the director. I would most definitely pay more for the actor star than the personality star. I would absolutely pay more to go see a Tim Burton film with Johnny Depp as the star (because who else would the actor star be?) before I would head out to see a film with Will Ferrell, no matter the director. Also, anything literary wins me over- if it’s true to the original line. I also like films with some sort of psychological ties built in, whether it’s something with actor stars like Girl, Interrupted or something that’s more indie-esque, like Peter Mullan’s The Magdalene Sisters. Political films aren’t usually my thing, but I did really enjoy Do the Right Thing. Overall, I think that if a film is creative and original and intuitive, I’ll take a chance on it.

1 comment:

  1. Great, stuff, Jessica. I feel your pain about films not coming to Rome. There is the Tara in ATL, but sometimes hard to get away. I think my film list probably betrays my tendency to favor Formalist films. I need to get more Realist stuff on the list!

    ReplyDelete