Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Extra Credit - Jen

Oohhh, this is surprisingly difficult for me to answer. I love films. I love all sorts of films, even ones that I'm really reluctant to see at first.
As a whole, I think I'm more into formalistic films than realistic. Which is weird, because sometimes I have a hard time doing the whole "suspension of belief" thing and I get kind of nitpicky about "this makes sense, this doesn't, this could never happen."
But I feel as though films like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - one of my favorites - is the kind of film that really moves me the most. The strangely beautiful compositions in that film rendered me nostalgic and sad and happy and in love, all at the same time. I'm kind of attracted to films that are sort...whimsical. Pan's Labyrinth is another good example. That film was a great mix of realism and formalism, in my opinion. And I totally wanted to go live in that other world. Actually, both of those films make me feel like I'm living in a different world when I'm watching them, and it aches so bad when those movies are over. After watching moves like that, I just need some quiet time to reflect.
So yes, I did enjoy the movies I watched this semester - After the Wedding, The General, and 2001: A Space Odyssey were among my favorites (not that they were realistic *cough2001cough*). But they don't really "hit" me the same way as the other films I mentioned.
Also, I don't normally know much about directors. This class did kind of peak my interest, though, particularly in Kubrick. Generally if a director's name is familiar to me, then I'll see just about anything they make (like Peter Jackson). But normally I see a film either for the stars or for the plotline.

No comments:

Post a Comment