Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Extra Credit - Amber Merrell

I usually tend to prefer more classical style films. Some of my favorite movies are from the black and white, classical era of American and British film. For instance, Arsenic and Old Lace, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, and The Lady Vanishes are some of my favorite films. I love the simple yet engaging storylines and the linear style of storytelling. There are no special effects or disorienting camera angles to distract me in these movies. I can simply concentrate on the actors and the story and enjoy the experience. With these films, I get absorbed in the story being told, whether it’s a mystery, comedy, or drama. I want to see what happens next, above all else. In addition, these movies always put me in a good mood. They are feel-good films and I take much enjoyment by merely experiencing this old-school style of film. Now, most films boast large amounts of special effects like The Lord of The Rings or documentary style filming like Paranormal Activity. I very much enjoy these movies as well, but they do not affect me in the same way or to the same degree as the old classical films.

I also greatly enjoy the actors in these older movies, though many of them are personality stars. I do prefer actor stars over personality stars, but I make exceptions for these classic movies. Most of my favorite actors are actually from recent films, so there is a disconnect between my favorite style of film and my favorite actors. The exception is James Stewart, who has always been one of my favorite actors, even though he is a personality actor. I love watching him play his roles. He has me convinced every time, though he does get a little over-dramatic at times. It does not matter; I think he’s fantastic regardless. The actors who can make me feel good and be absorbed in the story become my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment