Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Extra Credit - Craig Walters

I feel that Realism and Formalism and it’s in betweens are all as effective as the next. I found Breathless to be the perfect portrayal of Realism in our class, while 2001: A Space Odyssey was a brilliant form of Formalism. The objectives of the two, however were quite different, therefore the means to the end must be subjectively different. Breathless was mean to be human and emotions and subjectively show the human condition, while 2001: A Space Odyssey was to be a journey, both objectively and subjective through it’s visual trip. The world of the two are quite different, one seemingly less tangible, but the life shown to the audience in Breathless takes us to a world amongst ourselves, which many people to not see. To me, I find any form a film must take on the subject matter to which it is most relatable that allows the audience to break the barrier of the film itself to make one truly invest in the film. As to my two examples from earlier, neither movie could take on the style of the other film without losing much of its reliability. You may ask, how could one relate to 2001? It’s formalism and obvious anesthetic distance involved in Formalism allows you to feel truly removed from reality as you are supposed to be.
For me I truly love thought provoking films that make statements about life, whether tangibly or intangibly, politically or personally. I find a movie that can make an audience think, if even for a moment, about themselves or the world they live in, or heading towards in the case of 2001, to hold the most ground in my eyes. Therefore, I am not more conscious of the cinematography, but rather the intent of such elements on the film itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment