Friday, December 3, 2010

After The Wedding - James Clarke


I want to start by saying that I LOVED this movie. It is definitely my favorite of the films we have watched so far. The relationships and the realism of emotion expressed in the film is second to none in my opinion. The elements of Dogma 95, though not completely followed in the story or the technique, are still very heavily drawn upon here and it only helps to amplify the storytelling in this film.

One thing that I love the most in this film is that none of the characters do the wrong thing. I think in the society we live in, where we are somewhat jaded by reality, we don't expect people to help one another. In the modern world those that have often do very little for those that have not. This translates to the global scale in countries that are still in a state of growth compared to what we are currently. Although the characters in this film are not American, we can definitely connect with the needs of the impoverished on the wealthy. The characters in the film though, all end up doing the right thing. In every situation, the main characters (not including the daughter's new husband) rise above our suspicions and our fears and genuinely help eachother and love eachother, despite their trials and hardships. To me, this is to be applauded. I feel like the audience can connect and appreciate the characters so much more when they admire their decisions and their capacity for good.

By far the most powerful moment in the film is Jorgen's break down at the end of the film when he is dying. It begs the question from all of us on how we would handle the same situation. I do think the Jorgen is a good man, and that he just wanted to take care of those people he loved, and did so in a way that some might find strange. He is a man, however, that believes in second chances, and he gave everyone else the chance that he will never get. I love that and I think that his 'sins' are not real sins, but rather the sins that others have projected on him and his success. He is a kind man and I'm sure his family will continue to live on with a positive effect on the world around them due to his memory and positive effect on their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment