Thursday, October 7, 2010

Breathless - James Clarke

I'd like to begin this post by saying how much I disliked this movie. The lead actor was just not appealing to me as a viewer at all. His lines were delivered poorly and his character was incredibly unbelievable. Some of this could be blamed on the writing but I digress...

Jean-Luc Godard's "Breathless" definitely reminded me a lot of what current filmmakers still mimic. Particularly guys like Tarantino. The film's story isn't particularly linear, it jumps from time and place sparatica'ly and sometimes without resolving anything from the previous scene. Some would say that this expresses realism. I say it looks as if they ran out of footage from that scene. I'm not even a huge Coen brothers fan at times. Having major action take place off camera and off screen and then coming back to it later after the fact is incredibly uninteresting. 'Artistic' perhaps, but this is cinema we are talking about, if we didn't wan
t to SEE it happen, we'd read the damn book!

I did enjoy the lead actress. Turns out she's American, which might have something to do with her performance. I did like her, though her relationship with Mr. Suave is totally unbelievable. Who would sleep with a sleezeball like that? Honestly? Even with the cool accent.

Godard might be attacking traditional film values in this film, and it is really prevalent from the jumps between the escape from the police at the beginning of the film and various other jumpy parts of the film. I suppose I just happen to LIKE traditional film values and techniques. While it's good to challenge things sometimes, other times it just doesn't work. It might work better if the performances or the relationships were more believable, but when there is just line reading in between jump cuts, it makes for a very uninteresting combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment