Sunday, November 14, 2010

Do The Right Thing - Craig Walters

I believe John Turturro’s character, Pino, optimizes the confusion, which is seen throughout the movie. I recall a scene where Pino and Mookie, Spike Lee’s character, have a conversation where Mookie asks Pino why he holds the prejudices he does against African Americans. I found it interesting that some of Pino’s favorite people, such as Prince and Magic Johnson, were African American, yet he was the most vehement with his racial prejudices. He seems to hold on dearly to the stereotypical ideals dealing with blacks and often is a self-fulfilling prophecy because his overtly negative attitude towards these people make them very hostile towards him, thus backing up his prejudices. I find a lot of people that I’m around seem to have this same ideals and attitudes. I know of several people who, for instance, love rap or hip hop, yet hold many racist attitudes towards black, I always find that interesting. Pino is the pinnacle of an outsider to the area who holds a high distaste for those inhabitants. It seems that regardless of what these people do Pino will find nothing, but a negative spin on their actions or words. To me, he is the type of person which this movie is to exploit and draw a negative light on, rightfully so.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Craig. I wonder if Pino's role as a clear outsider in the neighborhood and the bitterness of his attitude make it easier to focus on his racist attitudes. But we find some similar attitudes within the neighborhood, a kind of separate-but-equal ideal supported by Buggin' Out and others. What should we make of this? What does the film seem to think about these attitudes in comparison to its presentation of Pino?

    ReplyDelete